Friday, July 19, 2013

Amsterdam

Goede  morgen van de Nederland,
I have been away from WiFi for a bit so I didn't get a chance to blog yesterday. Thursday morning Shelby and I got up early, had breakfast at our hostel and said goodbye to all the friends we made while in Paris. We had to walk a kilometer and a half with our heavy packs to get to the Gare du Nord train station. Once there we boarded a train to Brussels. Thankfully I was able to get some sleep on the first train because I was exhausted. 

The Belgium train station was huge and confusing. A guy who spoke English approached us and he turned out to be from Houston; we worked together to navigate our way through the station and took our next two trains together. He is in between graduation and law school, so he decided to take off for a mo th and backpack Europe solo. Once in Amsterdam all three of us got dinner on the edge of the canal before going our separate ways.

We checked into our hostel and met our roommates. We share a room with two girls who do not speak English do we don't know where they are from. There are two guys in our room as well. One from VA and one from Liverpool. The two of them both went to Centrral Connecticut State University which is about 30 minutes from ECSU where Shelby goes to college.

Last night we walked around the district for a while; we went to a few coffee shops and got pizza around 11 before heading back to the hostel to go to bed.

We got espresso this morning and talked to the owner there about what we should spend our time doing. He suggested we take a boat tour of the canals, so we will probably do that this afternoon. We may take a tour of the Heineken factory as well. 

My phone is off so I cannot upload any pictures, but I will post some later in the day.

Spreek je later
Vaarwell




5 comments:

  1. Incredible. I'm very proud of you and so impressed with your navigation ability!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so pleased that you are having a good time and learning new things as you go. Thanks for blogging, it is always exciting to see a new entry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Miss Jenn, for taking the time to write about your adventures. I smiled as I read your greeting and again at TTYL. Grammins and I are excited to share your joy and discovery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for following along. Just got the snap of dad and Grampins!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That snap was pretty scary, wasn't it, Jenn????? :-)

    ReplyDelete